Blondie Street

One of the most famous streets on the Ranch still standing today is Blondie Street. The street was named after the famous syndicated comic strip character “Blondie Bumstead” which first appeared in newspapers in September 1930. Columbia Pictures purchased the rights to this cartoon and turned it into a serial called “Blondie”. The first few chapters were shot on location in Burbank, CA. but eventually the home was recreated on the Ranch for easier shooting schedules.

At least 3 of the structures or homes on Blondie Street, as far as research shows, are original to the Ranch as far back as 1935 – 1937, meaning they did not secumb to fires or have been completely rebuild. These include the Little Egbert house, the Lindsey house and the Oliver House.

The Deeds home,

The Deeds home, or sometimes referred to as the Deeds Mansion, was built for the Frank Capra movie “Mr. Deeds Goes to Town” in 1936, although it is not very well seen except for a brief few moments in the movie. It consisted out of 3 semingly seperate structures put together. The original structure was indeed only 2 part, the main building and the 'conservatory' section with the arched Veranda to the right. But with a few short time of completing construction of this facade, the left 'wing' was added completing the final structure. It was well used in “The Three Stooges” serials from 1936 – 1942 and you can also see the structure in the “Batman” & “Superman” serials.  In later years it was used for the High School in both “Gidget” & “The Partridge Family” and as a 'Civic' building in 'Bewitched'.  The Deeds home was torn down in 1989 and replaced with two seperate structures, The Chester House and the Griswold house, for the movie 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation'.

The Lindsey house, (The Hazel Home)

was constructed in 1936 and appears in “The Three Stooges” serials from 1936 – 1942, the “Batman” & “Superman” serials, as well as almost any other serial of the time. Used as the Baxter’s family home in “Hazel” from 1961, as well as in “Father Knows Best”, “Dennis the Menace” and many more, including “The Monkees”, “Bewitched” & “Gidget”.  The home is currently often refered to as the “Lethal Weapon” house, the home of Danny Glover's character Captain Murdoch.  Recently it was seen on “Pushing Daisies”, “Without a Trace”, “Jericho”, "11th Hour" and "Lie to Me". Currently it is seen in "The Middle".

The Blondie home,

constructed around 1941 for the Blondie serials and fashioned after a real home on Agnes Street in Burbank, CA. This structure became, after some transformation, well known to millions as the home of the Anderson’s in “Father Knows Best”, then the home of Mr. Wilson in “Dennis the Menace” before becoming the home of Major Nelson and his Jeannie in “I Dream of Jeannie”.  The house can also be seen in episodes of “Hazel”, “Bewitched”, “The Monkees”, “A Second Hundred Years”,  “The Partridge Family" and numerous others.  The house is not the original structure build in 1941, as it burned down 2 times in 1970. It was rebuild however according to the, at the time, current blueprints. Today the house is used as the operations office for Warner Ranch. The house sports a fake brick façade (put on around early 1974).

The Oliver house, (Donna Reed House)

It was constructed around early 1935, somewhere else on the Ranch for the movie "Party Wire",  It was then moved from its original location, to its current place and became famous as the home of Dr. Stone & family for the “The Donna Reed Show” in 1958. The home was also used for the series “Dennis the Menace” in 1959, as the Miltchell home where Dennis lived with his parents. His next door neighbor Mr. Wilson lived in the Blondie house to the left.  Once again the home can be seen as early as 1936 in “The Three Stooges” serials and the “Batman” & “Superman” serials as well. In the pilot episode of “The Partridge Family” it is suggested that they originally lived here, and you can see Shirley Partridge park in the driveway between the Blondie house and the Donna Reed house and walk towards the Reed house as she carries her bags of groceries. 
The facade underwent a major change in the mid 1990's for as of yet unknown reason. The front porch was extended to the left as well as the front door was moved over too.

The other homes and structures (facades) on Blondie Street include, the corner building to the right of the Donna Reed house, which for years resembled a Tudor style structure, and is original to the Ranch but it was more used on the side street that turned off Blondie Street.  Also located on Blondie Street are The Partridge Family House, The corner Church next door to the Partridges and across from The Bewitched home.
The Partridge Family house,

built in 1953 and modeled after a Sears, Roebuck & Co house plan, the house was used in “Bewitched” as the Kravitz home for several seasons as well as Mrs. Elkins house in “Dennis the Menace”. It can be seen in the episode where Mr. Wilson and Dennis think there is a Jewel thief living next door and climb into the basement of the home. The first time it can be seen is in “Father Knows Best” in 1955 and then again in the movie “The Last Hurrah” in 1958. The structure underwent some cosmetic changes in the late 1950’s, had the right front porch enclosed and lost its columns on the front right side. In August of 1970, the structure was completely destroyed during a fire and rebuilt with modifications, including its 'widow's peak' and front steps. A front door overhang was added in the late 70's and the house remained pretty much the same for the next decade. It underwent two more transformations in the 80's. One for 'Scarecrow and Mrs. King' back in 1983. The show lasted until 1987 and the house was actually put back to it's original state and can be seen briefly in a scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, only to be remodeled for 'Life Goes On' in late 1989. It has remained like it since with minor alterations to suit several productions.

The Corner Church,

fwas originally located at the corner of Modern Street and Skid Row and constructed around 1943. In late 1953, it was disassembled and relocated to the newly redisigned Blondie Street, next door to The Partridge Family home and across the street from The Bewitched home.  It is seen in most of the shows filmed on Blondie Street in the 50's & 60's and occasionally used as a shooting location for some episodes. Used in an episode of “Hazel”, in which Hazel and the Baxter’s go to church, as well as in the movie “Village of the Giants”. The Church, together with the Partridge Family house burned down in a fire in 1970. Both were rebuild, albeit that the church was moved further back and in a different configuration and smaller. In its place on Blondie street, a generic house was put up, and used in the 1983 film "Moving" but can be seen as early as in the first season of the “Partridge Family”.

The Bewitched house, (Higgins Home)

constructed in late July of 1962, (according to actual Columbia Pictures documentation) for the tv show "Our Man Higgins" with Stanley Holloway, ( hence it was only a facade), was predominately used as the home of Darrin & Samantha Stephens for the very popular series “Bewitched” 1964-1972. It was used in “Gidget” in 1965 as well as the home of Dr. Bellows and his wife in “I Dream of Jeannie” also in 1965.  It appears in episodes of “Hazel”, “Father Knows Best” and “Dennis the Menace”.  The garage at the popular address of 1164 Morning Glory Circle was originally the garage of the Hazel home next door and can be clearly seen in several episodes.  The garage has it’s own rich history as well, during a few years it was a double garage in an “L” shape, it’s roof line has changed as well as the doors have been changed on several occasions. When the Bewitched home was built the garage was incorporated into it and eventually another garage was built for the Hazel home.

This street has been around almost as long as the Ranch it self has and can be clearly seen in the shows mentioned above and in many TV commercials, even now.  Though some of the structures have changed drastically and some even torn down and replaced with other facades, the street is still recognizable. The Griswold's house from “National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation” is one of the newer structures that replaced the large Civic building (aka; the Deeds home, from “Mr. Deeds Goes to Town” 1936) that once stood there. The Church on the corner across from the Bewitched house partially burned down in August of 1970.   It was torn down and rebuilt further back in a different configuration a few months later.
Many movies and television shows, even currently, have used this for a suburban backdrop. As of this writing currently shows like “The Middle” and “Suburgatory ” and 'The Fosters' are some that are being filmed there.
© 2017 Columbia Ranch.net. All rights reserved.