Modern Place

Built together with New York Street, it was one of the more elusive streets on the Ranch. Hence there are not many images available of this section. Consisting of, originally, only two structures, it was seldom used as a main shooting location. Originally housing a Bank and an alley, it was remodeled after the fire in 1950 that destroyed the majority of New York's South West section. The Bank was moved and in its place came a corner store and next to it the new Theater was built. Also, a new tall structure was put in place, covering the sightline of the Water Tank behind it.
The corner store was originally the Bank building and was used in many of the serials from the late 1930's thru the 1940's. The right side, which faced New York Street was remodeled and used in the "Superman" serials from 1948 as the Peerless Insurance Company building and can also be seen in "The Good Humor Man" from 1950.
Across the street from the Bank, was the corner of the original Park Blvd Apartments, with a corner store and some shop fronts. After the major fire in 1950, when 3 quarters of New York Street and the entire Modern Place burned down, parts of this corner were rebuilt on the location where the Bank used to stand.
The Intersection of New York Street and Modern Place from "Superman" in 1948 . Clearly visible here are the Corner store of the Park Blvd Apartments on the right and the Gas & Electric building on the left.
The corner of Modern Place and New York street, showing the corner store at the Park Blvd apartments in 1948 and what it looked like in 1970.
The same intersection of New York and Modern Place as seen in the above panorama, but now in 1967, with Modern Place on the left and New York street to the right.
The Vista Theater as seen in "The Flying Nun" from 1968
The intersection of New York and Modern Place in 1943 from the "Batman serials. Visible here are the Bank, the News Stand, the Caplin Theater, the Alley and the original Department store. This entire section was destroyed during the fire in 1950.
On May 26 1950 a major fire struck the Ranch. It was a disasterous blaze that destroyed half of New York street and took out Modern Place completely. The Bank, Newstand, Caplin Theater and the Department store, were lost, as well as the Water Spillway (Water Drop) the Scenic wall and the Power generator plant. Click the article below to read the news story.
Less than 3 years later, the same area was affected by a fire again, this time destroying the other side of Modern Place and the Park Blvd Apartment building.
Despite the damage caused by the fire, the entire section was rebuild, but with major modifications. The Park Blvd Apartments was completely redesigned, and no longer housed shop fronts on New York Street and looked similar to what we all see today. The other side or Modern Place was rebuilt to what you see below: A Corner store, the Vista Theater and a tall restaurant/office building. These stayed until the fire of 1974 when the entire northern section of the Ranch burned down, and was never rebuild.
The Vista Theater as seen in "The Partridge Family" from 1970
A rare glimps of the structure on the other side of the original Bank from the movie "Golden Boy" from 1939.  Originally only a door facade without any windows. After the fire this became the new Vista Theater, a combination of Caplin theater and the little theater on Brownstone street.
In September of 1974, a Multi-Million dollar fire burned down over one quarter of the Ranch in one of the biggest blazes the Ranch had ever encountered. All of New York Street, Modern Place, Modern Street, Skid Row and Brownstone street were destroyed, including the 3 soundstages located behind the facades and also scorched the Water Drop severely.
A news paper clipping of the fire in 1974. Showing here is the Department store on New York Street. The Ranch was host to the 3 day Burbank Community Fair that weekend, but was only able to provide 2 days, as the fire struck on the 3 day.
© 2013 Columbia Ranch.net. All rights reserved.